serving Violet [leukemia]

This is where it began. Where God helped me to see how I could serve with my kids. In hindsight, it’s silly I didn’t think of it sooner – um, hello, your blog is called Real Food with Kids. Cook for people, woman!

Real Food with Kids

I love stepping back from a situation and seeing how God orchestrates things way before I realize something’s happening. Awhile back, this photo of Emery eating a strawberry with coconut milk whipped cream was featured on IGKansasCity. I gained a handful of local followers, one being a woman named Heather.

Real Food with Kids

A few days later, I posted this photo on IG, offering extra kombucha SCOBYs to any local followers. She commented that she wanted one and we started chatting through my Facebook page. It turns out she wanted the SCOBY so she could make kombucha for her youngest daughter who was battling leukemia. She was hoping it would prevent her from getting an infection in her gut. We left the SCOBY hand off pending because Violet was in the hospital for treatment and their lives were crazy. Violet ended up back in the hospital shortly after. Having also been through hospital life while trying to care for a kid at home, my heart sunk for her. I immediately remembered how I felt in her position and God gave us a heavy burden to help. Knowing how perfect WAPF foods are for gut health, I was on a mission. I found out what Violet’s favorite raw veggies were , made a meal plan, and went shopping. Over the course of a week, Emery and I worked to prepare food for Violet and her family. It was a great chance for me to talk to Emery about trials people can face and the blessing it is to serve others in need. I quickly learned that a perk of ministering through traditional food preparation is that you’re preserving the food through fermentation, which allows you to make things in advance. You can keep many different types of food on hand for months, for people in need. The first thing we made was Fermented Cauliflower.

Ginger Cauliflower Ferment Recipe [1 liter]:

  • 1 small head of cauliflower, in bite sized pieces
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 1 apple, chopped
  • 1 tsp grated ginger
  • Brine [dissolve 3 sups filtered water/3 TB sea salt]
  • Caldwell Starter Culture packet [I don’t normally use these, but I’ve read they help the probiotics stay strong longer, so we pulled out the bug guns for Violet ;-)]
  1. Prep all Ingredients; dissolve salt and starter culture in 3 cups filtered water.
  2. Fill 1 liter Fido jar with first 5 ingredients; top with brine/starter culture.
  3. Leave on counter for 3 days with glass weigh [we used a recycled jar] to keep the food under the brine to prevent mold. If you closed the lid, open about 3x a day to release pressure to prevent explosion. Since we used a jar, our ferment was open.
  4. After 3 days, remove weight, closer jar, and place in fridge. The ferment is good to eat as long as it smells and looks fine. The color will dull, but it can last over 6 months. When a ferment has gone bad, YOU WILL KNOW IT! Trust your 5 senses :–)



Next, we second fermented some kombucha! We had some left over mint in the fridge and some left over apple juice in the freezer from a recipe, so we made Apple Mint Kombucha. Feel free to experiment with ratios, but this is what we did: Ways to Serve with Little Kids: Making Apple Mint Kombucha for a little girl with Leukemia on

 Apple Mint Kombucha Second Ferment 

  • 2 parts strained kombucha:1 part apple juice
  • 1 1/2 TB torn mint leaves

We put it all in a recycled GT Kombucha bottle, gave it a gentle swirl, and left it on the counter for 2-3 days. We opened it 2-3 times/day to release the pressure and prevent an explosion. We strained the mint leaves out and stuck it in the fridge after 3 days.

Then we made 48 hour beef bone broth, following the instructions from The Healthy Home Economist on the Weston A Price website.

The day we had coordinated to bring the meal I filled a pot with the broth, added browned ground beef, diced root veggies, fresh thyme and rosemary, peas, and a few cubes of frozen Master Tonic pulp [ginger, horseradish root, onion, garlic, and jalapeno] I had on hand in the freezer [just enough to give it good flavor, not enough to make it spicy!]. All we had to do was leave it to cook on the stove [bring to a boil, then down to medium until veggies are tender, about 30 minutes], everything else was ready to go! At the last minute, I pulled a few flowers from our wildflower bouquet and added hemp rope to the jar. I also grabbed a jar of homemade chicken stock I had in the freezer – the doctors weren’t letting Violet eat at the time because of inflammation in her gut but I hoped they would make an excuse for broth since it was a clear liquid. We prayed for Violet and her family in the car on the way and Emery helped leave the food in their cooler on their front step. Violet was released from the hospital a week later. We still haven’t met her, but we talk about her often; If we weren’t moving to TX, we would plan to serve them regularly. We’ll continue to pray for her and her family and look for updates often.